Main Entry: thau·ma·turg
Etymology: French, from New Latin thaumaturgus, from Greek thaumatourgos working miracles, from thaumat-, thauma miracle + ergon work — more at Theater, Work
The official blog of the Dramaturgy Department at Baltimore's CENTERSTAGE. For posts related to our current and upcoming shows, click the links to the right. Alternatively, you could begin at the beginning, and explore our posts in chronological order.
Just in time for Halloween comes this truly special local event.
Ever wanted to know what it would be like to fight for survival during a zombie infestation? Well you can get a taste of it on Oct. 22 in Baltimore at “Run for your Lives.” This zombie-filled 5K obstacle course promises to be a blast. Not into running? you can also watch! This is definitely a Must See! Hurry to register because the deadline is Oct. 1!
…and since you can see some snaps of what things are looking like on stage, here are a few assorted snippets of where things have been and come since that first day of rehearsal almost exactly a month ago. First up, a few excerpts from an early stage manager’s report, showing the evolution of thinking about some set dressing (including that laundry line pictured elsewhere, not to mention some scantily clad ensemble members dressing Glinda’s palanquin). You also get a sense of some of the thoughts behind some supporting characters who make passing appearances. How close did this come to what eventually ended up on stage? Well, you have to see the show to know that, duh! And if you’ve seen it and find yourself reading this, weigh in with a note. Or if you’ve seen it and wonder about another element, pose the query and we’ll try to get you some background.
- We are thinking that the clothespins in scene 1 should be the type that actually clip. May we have some to work with in rehearsal? Thank you.
- Please ADD feather fans for the four ensemble women to use to fan Glinda.
- Irene is thinking that the items that come from the Wiz’ suitcase may be from Vietnam. Possibly the courage medal is something he earned in the war.
- The winged monkey that appears first (MaShawn) should be recognizable as the leader of the monkeys.
- Irene and Willie would like to use the ensemble women as attendants to Glinda. This is in addition to the four men who carry the litter.